m7600
Habitué
- Messages
- 1,201
Sorry, but as a Dark Sun fan, human/dwarf crossbreeds will forever and always be "Muls" to me.![]()
They really need to bring Dark Sun back, that was a great setting : )
Sorry, but as a Dark Sun fan, human/dwarf crossbreeds will forever and always be "Muls" to me.![]()
Tried Dark Sun on later editions and I think it doesn't work well on anything but Second Edition mechanics. Defilers lose their main advantage of quick levelling, for instance.They really need to bring Dark Sun back, that was a great setting : )
Tried Dark Sun on later editions and I think it doesn't work well on anything but Second Edition mechanics. Defilers lose their main advantage of quick levelling, for instance.
While I agree with the logic here, it's worth remembering that in fantasy worlds like D&D, biology may not cleave 100% to our understanding of biology. (Or perhaps they do, on the surface, but the underlying rules actually work completely differently. I'll get back to this later.) For example, in 3.X, dragons could essentially interbreed with any creature under the sun, resulting in anything from half-dragon humans and elves to half-dragon crocodiles and bulettes and even more outlandish combinations like half-dragon tendriculouses (yes, they were an ACTUAL monster in a module I played. XD) You could justify this by saying that a dragon's highly magical nature makes this possible, but if races as disparate as elves and orcs and minotaurs can interbreed now, who's to say that some fundamental magical rule about fertility has just not been changed behind the scenes?Back on topic, here's another way to look at the implications of the term "race". If, for example, humans, elves and orcs are different races, such that they can reproduce, and their offspring are fertile (half-elves and half-orcs), then this means that they must have a common ancestor. In other words, humans, elves and orcs must have evolved from an ancestral humanoid. But this isn't the case in D&D's settings, as far as I know. In the Forgotten Realms, for example, Elves were created from the blood of their god, Corellon. And orcs came to Faerûn from another dimension, through a portal, and they were created by their god, Gruumsh. So how is it that humans, elves and orcs evolved from a common ancestor? They didn't. Yet, this is what would have to be the case if we're strict when it comes to applying biological concepts to a fantasy setting. In other words, if the term "species" doesn't make any biological sense in such settings, as it has been argued, then by parity of reasoning neither does the term "race", since it implies the existence of a common ancestor to those races that can reproduce with each other to produce fertile offspring.
I really liked this concept of gravity... If I ever play table top again I'll certainly use it... and my players will be sorry I ever heard of thisWhile I agree with the logic here, it's worth remembering that in fantasy worlds like D&D, biology may not cleave 100% to our understanding of biology. (Or perhaps they do, on the surface, but the underlying rules actually work completely differently. I'll get back to this later.) For example, in 3.X, dragons could essentially interbreed with any creature under the sun, resulting in anything from half-dragon humans and elves to half-dragon crocodiles and bulettes and even more outlandish combinations like half-dragon tendriculouses (yes, they were an ACTUAL monster in a module I played. XD) You could justify this by saying that a dragon's highly magical nature makes this possible, but if races as disparate as elves and orcs and minotaurs can interbreed now, who's to say that some fundamental magical rule about fertility has just not been changed behind the scenes?
To go back to my earlier example, one scenario I once gave my players during an argument about "why don't you allow gunpowder to work in D&D?" was that despite the surface similarity, science does not actually work in exactly the same way it does in D&D. For example, while the phenomenon we call gravity also works in D&D, it might be that it arises due to an ancient pact between the Elemental Lords of Air and Earth (Earth won an ancient bet and thus anything that Air takes to its bosom must eventually be returned to Earth). So in a similar vein, perhaps the normal inability of races to procreate with each other might be due to a different reason. It may be that vastly different races still typically cannot interbreed with each other, but on very rare occasions, the Goddess of Fertility might take interest in a particular coupling (ardent prayers for a child might also increase this chance) and thus bless the union with a child.
Clearly they've never read "The Lusty Argonian Maid" or "The Sultry Argonian Bard" or had a drink at the Lusty Argonian Footman inn.Putting them in a romantic setting would bring out eww ick! interatrial love gross!
Glad you like it!I really liked this concept of gravity... If I ever play table top again I'll certainly use it... and my players will be sorry I ever heard of this![]()
boundingintocomics.com
It sounds like you can't have a character with elf and orc background, under this rule set, so I don't understand how that's a defence of it at all.I actually agree with the decision. Not because I think that Half- races are inherently racist, but rather because I think that a character could have, for example, Elf and Orc ancestry. What would you call them in that case? Half-Elf? Half-Orc? Neither seems accurate. Something like Eolf sounds better. I've already said my piece about this in more detail several comments ago.
As I pointed out, I've already said my piece about this throughout this thread. Perhaps you don't agree with my point of view. But I've already made made my case, no need to repeat it.It sounds like you can't have a character with elf and orc background, under this rule set, so I don't understand how that's a defence of it at all.
Noted, fair enough. We don't have all of the information yet, so there's a lot of speculation going on. That being said, they haven't explicitly ruled out mixed heritages. As far as I know (and I could be wrong, of course) it's technically possible to make a character with Human and Elf ancestries (or Elf and Orc ancestries for that matter). They're just not going to call them "Half-Elves". In that sense, I agree with the decision to drop that specific term. It's just a poor choice of words. But, as far as having interracial characters (or of mixed ancestries or heritages), I'm all for that. So I hope they do include Half-Elves and Half-Orcs, but I also hope that they call them something else.I'm not disagreeing it just sounds like maybe one of us misread the decision or something.
As far as I can tell, the decision you agree with doesn't allow for the situation you describe.