Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous General Discussion, Playthroughs and Minimal/No Reload Thread

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,834
Of those of you playing this game, do you prefer playing good or evil?
I mean, I can try answering this :)

I only played as a Trickster and an Azata. Obviously, I tried to play chaotically (so sometimes good, sometimes evil, sometimes neutral, but always chaotic) as a Trickster. This has been VERY fun, I saw some crazy (and kinda unexpected, hard to predict) solutions with this Mythic, I don't regret this at all. This also allowed me to RP doing both good and really evil things at the same time, so I had Seelah (a paladin) and Ember (almost a saint) along with Wenduag, Daeran, and especially Camellia (evil, evil, and VERY evil) in the same party, and yet it felt kinda fine, we didn't go on a murder spree or something.

Due to certain Trickster story moments in Chapter 4, I saw some content also suitable for the Demon path (which is evil, but there is a catch). If I ever come back to WotR, this would be my choice - but I wouldn't play Demon as fully 100% evil, I would play it with this option I saw during the Trickster story, and it'll be more similar to Viconia's and Sarevok's story in ToB where you can redeem them. That option is exclusive to Demon and involves a romance.

I also had a playthrough as an Azata (that finished shortly because of the crucial death under the Last Azlanti rule). I liked a lot of what I saw. Now that I know the (good part of) stories of Arueshalae and Sosiel (among others), I see a lot of potential in that as well for this path (so that I could guide them to Good). I would recommend that as well, even though I haven't seen Azata content past chapter 3.

Overall, I would dare say that WotR is the best implementation of different RP paths for the player if we're speaking from the tabletop-inspired perspective (it definitely beats BG3 and the original BG trilogy). From what I've read, the Lich path (evil) is nicely implemented and can offer a unique perspective (but you need to sacrifice some of your usual companions). They also patched and vastly improved the Golden Dragon path (good).

The only paths I don't know much about are Angel, Devil, Aeon, and Swarm-That-Walks (well, and Legend).

So, as of now, I'd base my choice on the companions the path affects (especially if I feel strongly about them - you can influence some, actually affecting them), and also gameplay aspects these paths involve (e.g., I liked Trickster feats), with story beats coming second, and everything else after that.
 
Messages
152
My main character is always Neutral Good (pretty much my own alignment according to some online tests) in any cRPG games (which is actually the only genre I play) with a bit of chaotic inclinations. At the same time I don't reject any NPCs in my crew just because they are Evil (or any other alignment) so Viconia is always with me and sometimes Sarevok too. Korgan - Mazzy relations are also quite hilarious. Just like @Antimatter my aim with those kinds of NPCs is to try and redeem, influence or affect them. As of WoTR Mythic choices - my favorite (which is also matches my self-perception) is Azata. I still haven't played yet any others but I can see myself as an Aeon or a Legend. I can justify a Trickster if only from the powergaming standpoint. Actually I think I'm going to try most of those (sans Swarm-That-Walks obviously).

All in all I agree with what @Antimatter wrote so I won't repeat it here. Most Mythics could be justified one way or another regardless of your alignment. The topic starter @alice_ashpool (aka @Coredumped Gaming) has a Lich>Legend Last Azlanti run on youtube where he played as a Lich who is trying to be good and eventually became a Legend. So nothing is impossible.
 

OrlonKronsteen

Habitué
Messages
342
It sounds like the kazillion character classes are only one layer of the complexity, lol. I hope I can figure this Pathfinder thing out, but it sounds like it may be equivalent to another round of grad school. Thank you both for taking the time to explain this.

My main character is always Neutral Good (pretty much my own alignment according to some online tests) in any cRPG games (which is actually the only genre I play) with a bit of chaotic inclinations.
Man, I'm envious. I always want a neutral good diagnosis on these tests, because that's what I aspire to IRL. However, I aways seem to get pegged as lawful neutral - an alignment I have utter contempt for. Darn those online D&D alignment tests and their cutting edge, clinical accuracy.
 
Messages
152
According to some Reddit comments, rests in the prologues do not count, so that's good news at least (for Unfair players):
Well, I've checked this out by starting a new run and looks like this is not true - resting in the Shield Maze for the first time immediately changed SadisticGameDesign_restTrigger +1. Online search proved that only 'story' rests (like in Neathholm) do not count. Any 'manual' rest do count during entire game (Shield Maze including). This is why I already have so many rests during my current run.

Anyway, this also triggered another restartis attack for me (and again during an assault on Drezen) with a bit of changes for myself and my crew members based on experience I have with them during this current run. Seelah now has a dip in Hunter [Tandem Executioner] with Doggy Doggerson pet which is far more suited for tanking compared to the Big Birg, who in turn is delegated to Lann instead. I've also had a number of issues with Seelah wielding a reach weapon (Fauchard) and riding Big Bird which showed up during the charge attack (Big Bird stops right at the Seelah's weapon reach and do not attack themselves, or if the duo is placed behind the tank, Seelah can't attack either for some reason). Ember now will be an Inciter Skald with some Feint/Diva Style feats along with Beast Totems line and some changes with her other feats/mythic choices. Nenio will skip Alchemist (2) for Rowdy (1) dip for better spell progression. And my main will be the Noble Leader Living Deity Magic Deceiver with 7/17/8/12/12/20 stats distribution.

We already finished the caves under Kenabres without any issues (I saved my single spell cast per day for small earth elementals now) and just entered the Shield Maze. I'll post a proper report when we'll finish it.
 
Messages
152
Grim Face, Halfling (Hasty), Noble - Leader, 6/18/10/12/12/19, Magic Deceiver (Living Deity, Wolf pet) fair Unfair. Part 1 (Prologue).

Безымянный.jpg

OK, I've started a new run with slightly tweaked Crew and aiming for the 'Sadistic Game Design' achievement among others. As usual this will be a completionist playthrough on a full-time turn-based mode (so no real-time kiting, switching between RTwP and TB to reset combat and catch our opponents flat-footed or any other silly shenanigans). We also aim for mimimal amount of reloads (only on character's death early on, when we have very little resources for resurrections) and no reloads on failed skill checks. All in all a fair play approach to what degree this is applicable to Unfair difficulty.

OK, lets get started. The Underground Caves were uneventful and since I saved my single spell slot for Small Earth Elementals we had little difficulties to finish them reload free.

1790683003828.png

1790683083650.png

1790683233585.png

On level 2 Seelah took a dip in Hunter [Tandem Executioner] class for Doggy Doggerson companion and with Animal Focus -Tiger he has 21 Dex which, with a support of Protective Luck by Camellia, is mostly enough to tank a vast amount of Shield Maze's foes reliably. His single level with 7 (+2) hp matters little for survivability on Unfair. Lann and MC continued with their respective initial classes.

In preparation for the Maze we made some shopping with Dyra:

1790684080965.png

Having two tripping pets in the Crew is quite satisfatory very often:

1790684252872.png

1790684292525.png

In the Maze, we advanced on a tried and tested route from easy to difficult encounters. As I've already mentioned Doggy Doggerson was our main tank, Seelah is main damage dealer while MC supports their valiant efforts with Demoralize + Light of the Angels.

To make it short, we have little difference with our previous run so I'll spare you all on unnecessary repetition. A few interesting (in my opinion) encounters include a Dretches one sans Pro Poison buff available. Doggy Doggerson is capable to hold a fort long enough for those Stinking Clouds to dissipate and we end up victorious:

1790686253256.png

1790686446681.png

1790686489862.png

Cambion Rangers are heavily defanged if engaged in melee:

1790686674527.png

And you need to prioritize a Corrupted Mongrel Brutes to survive encounters with them (their entourage matter little in comparison):

1790687066499.png

Now I believe we have a pretty solid working approach vs Large Water Elemental - TB kiting by your tank with enlarged Seelah making AoO with reach weapon:

1790687287022.png

1790687466910.png

1790687510913.png

Medium Earth Elementals are pretty much the same with only difference that there are two of them.

1790687899752.png

1790687950640.png

In Hosilla fight we need to win an initiative rolls vs Wenduag (or she'll shoot MC fast) and give Hosilla a 'Incendiary Runes + Sleep' combo treatment followed with Coup de Grace.

1790688113626.png

To easy the Gray Garrison's main fight Camellia applied an Entangle spell on the large group to the right while Irabeth and Staunton made short work of them (with our feasible aid whenever possible):

1790688382298.png

And now our Crew chills out in the Defender's Heart tavern enjoying their Level 3 at long last:

* Grim Face, Magic Deceiver [Living Deity] (3): Feats - Spell Focus [Enchantment], Greater Spell Focus [Enchantment], Skills - Lore [Religion] (3), Persuasion (3), UMD (2); Spell uses per day: Level (1): 3;
* Freya, Bully (3): Feats - Fury's Fall, Combat Reflexes; Skills - Athletics (3), Mobility (3);
* Seelah, Paladin (1) / Hunter [Tandem Executioner] (1) / Dual-Cursed Oracle (1): Feats - Shield Focus, Boon Companion; Skills - Athletics (3), Mobility (3), Knowledge, World (1), Perception (3), Persuasion (2), UMD (0); Powerless Prophecy + Plagued; Nature Mystery (Animal Companion: Continue); Spells: Bless (Level 1: 1/5), Shield of Faith (Level 1: 2/5); Bonus spells: Cure Light Wounds (1), Ill Omen (1); Spell uses per day: Level (1): 4; Special Ability: Uncanny Dodge;
* Doggy Doggerson, Bully (3): Feats - Fury's Fall, Combat Reflexes; Skills - Athletics (3), Mobility (3);
* Lann, Zen Archer (2) / Sabre Company Marine (1): Feats - Combat Reflexes, Boon Companion (point-blank shot, precise shot, weapon focus - longbow, improved unarmed strike); Skills - Athletics (1), Mobility (2), Stealth (3), Lore, Nature (1), Perception (3);
* Big Bird, Bullwark (3): Feats - Dodge, Combat Reflexes; Skills - Athletics (3), Mobility (3);
* Camellia, Spirit Hunter (3): Feats - Weapon Finesse, Extra Hex (Chant); Hex - Protective Luck; Skills - Mobility (3), Trickery (3); Spells - Level (2); Spell uses per day: Level (1): 4; Level (2): 3;

#of manual rests (1);

... to be continued.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom