Why do you like RPGs?

m7600

Habitué
Messages
1,201
Sometimes, the most simple questions are the most difficult ones to answer.

We've talked about different RPGs here at the Tavern, but I think that the most basic question is this: why do we like these games to begin with?

This is a question that I've been asking myself for years, and I still don't have an answer!

I like other kinds of games as well, for example card games, board games, strategy games, a few skill games, etc. But RPGs are definitely my favorite. However, if you ask me "why?", the answer is... I don't know! 🤣

So, I thought I'd ask other people the same question that I've been asking myself for a long time: Why do you like RPGs?
 

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,833
An excellent question. For me, it comes down to a few factors.

There were RPGs among the very first PC games I played: Diablo I, Baldur's Gate, Might & Magic VI. These games affected me more than just adventures for XX number of hours, they helped shape my personality, my views, and my interests.

I like the role-playing aspect the most. Often in RL, we can't allow ourselves to behave a little bit differently: from the norm, from our own views on the appropriate behavior, etc. RPGs allow you to pick the most extravagant class, dialogue response, or alignment you can imagine. You can pick a different gender, you can romance anyone, you can be a renegade, and you can crush the most powerful enemies. If you prefer, you can choose a non-hostile way to solve a quest or an encounter. You can cast all types of spells, you can fly, and you can turn into a werebear. RPGs also have a lot of replayability, they tell stories that can be lived through with different, sometimes opposite, concepts in mind.

And technical/mechanical aspects of leveling your character, and upgrading your gear also play a big role--I like doing that and seeing how that affects the power curve.
 

BelgarathMTH

Habitué
Messages
187
For me it goes back to my high school D&D group, or really much further back than that.

I was raised by an alcoholic/heroin addicted mother, and without going into unwanted and overshared personal detail, I suffered from all the emotional problems and difficulties you might expect from that. So throughout childhood, I had escaped into fantasy, and preferred it to reality. It all started with my beloved grandmother reading Casper and Wendy comic books to me when I was at pre-school ages. I could already read by the time I hit first grade, because I always asked her to point to the words as she read.

Going into elementary school, there was H.R. Puffinstuff, Lidsville (I wanted to be Hoodoo), Bewitched (I wanted to be powerful like Maurice), Batman (the Adam West campy version), I Dream of Jeannie, and countless Saturday morning cartoons. Eventually there was Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Dark Shadows reruns, and Wonder Woman. Not to mention Star Trek and Star Wars. The summer after tenth grade I read "The Lord of the Rings" for the first time. I got into superhero comics for a time, both D.C. and Marvel.

Finally my senior year in high school, I had had enough of dealing with my mother, so I contacted my estranged father with my maternal grandparents' support, and asked to live with him during my senior year. He agreed. That year, all the seniors in the new school were in solidified cliques, so I started making friends with the freshmen in the band, because they were the only ones who would sit next to me on the bus and hang out with me on band trips. It turned out they all played D&D together in one of the parents' basements, with an older brother who happened to be a senior like me DM'ing, and I was invited. Several of us also went to the same church.

I wound up falling in love with D&D, almost to the point of obsession. I would spend hours reading my Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual, learning spells, and studying experience tables, spell progression tables, and character classes.

It was the 1980's now, and I continued to play with the same friends throughout college. During free time when there wasn't a game going on, I started "scratching the itch" by reading fantasy epic novels. One of them was "The Belgariad" by David Eddings, which is the source of the screen name I still use today.

Those D&D games were more than just escapism to me. The pretend dangers we faced in our tabletop games bonded the friends in my group. It felt like these were people I was cooperating with in a team, and fighting side by side with. I had never felt such belonging with a group before. It was very healing to me.

So along came the 1990's and my young adulthood. All those high school friends had moved on. I was very busy with my teaching career, and struggling a lot with real life issues. For a time I tried to immerse myself in real life, and I didn't play any games in any form for several years.

Around 1995, I was wandering around a Toys'R'Us store killing time, and I saw a Sega CD system on sale. I thought "You know, I used to really enjoy playing video games on my Atari and in the arcades, and playing video games with my D&D buddies at their homes and in the arcades, so I wonder if I would still enjoy that?" So I bought the console, and one or two action games for it. The games I had were fun in short bursts, but I got bored with them quickly.

But then everything changed. I wanted to give the Sega CD one last chance to hook me in, and I found a game on clearance sale called "Dark Wizard." And when I got it home and started playing, it's hard to do justice in words to how I felt. I enjoyed it. I mean I *Enjoyed* it. Almost to the point of obsession. It had riveting music, riveting gameplay, and then I realized "Hey, this is just like D&D with my old buddies."

So I played that game until I knew it inside and out, after which I wanted another similar game that would "scratch the same itch." I couldn't find anything else for console that looked interesting, so I turned to the brand new, barely used PC sitting on my desk. I went out to the store (we still did that in the 1990's) and wound up buying Heroes of Might and Magic I, because it was the closest thing I could find that looked like Dark Wizard. At first I didn't like it because it was too different from my beloved Dark Wizard, but once I adjusted, I was thoroughly hooked, to the point of sitting up all night finishing maps.

From there I got HoMM II. Then I tried Might and Magic 6. Then Baldur's Gate was out. It was the golden age of RPG's. There was one RPG after another released, and I fell in love with many of them. I branched out into ARPG's. My first ARPG was the original Divine Divinity, and yes, it was an ARPG back then. Then Sacred. Interestingly, I somehow managed to miss Diablo II. I didn't play that until relatively recently with the remaster.

RPG's became for me my primary means to escape reality, which is still very much a need for me, even at age 57. And they do a pretty good job simulating those old relationships with friends, via scripting and character writing. (Yes, I know Jaheira and Minsc aren't real people. :) )

Even though I should like sci-fi RPG's, I just don't, other than Star Wars. It's got to have magic. It absolutely must have magic. Psionics or psychic powers won't do, it has to be MAGIC. If it doesn't have magic, I won't play it. It's just how I am, I guess. My love of fantasy magic goes all the way back to my preschool years and those Casper and Wendy comics, and all those Bewitched reruns. I don't think I'll ever change from that first love, and it's swords and sorcery RPG's for me until the day they bury me. :)
 

m7600

Habitué
Messages
1,201
Thanks for the replies! Very insightful.

I totally get the explanation based on childhood experiences. And for a long time, I believed that this must be my case as well. But I started doubt this a few months ago. I believe there must be a deeper reason.

Let my try to recount my story about this. I'm not a native English speaker. But from 1990 to mid 1994, I lived in Seattle. (I was born in 1985, which makes me 37 years old as of today... sometimes people online think I'm older than I really am!) I was in elementary school back then, and I went to the local YMCA after school. It was there that I first got to know D&D. It was 2nd edition, but we were a group of kids that didn't really care that much about the rules, probably because they seemed quite complicated to us. So we just kind of played it in a very simplified way. For example, if you're the DM and I'm one of the players, and I have to battle a monster, instead of rolling some dice we just did rock-paper-scissors to see who won: the player or the monster. Super simple, but we had tons of fun. For some reason, I still remember very vividly a scene from one of our games. We were in the Underdark, staring into a pit, and the DM said that suddenly, a beak appeared from the darkness, surrounded by tentacles. Years later I learned that the monster in question was a grell. I have no idea why that scene made such a strong impression on me.

Sometime mid-1994 I moved back to my home country. I missed Seattle, and I missed our simplified version of D&D. Nobody played D&D here in my country of origin, so I started a new group with some local kids. I don't think I fully understood the concept of role playing at that time. So, when someone asked what kind of game it was, I would just say "It's a talking game"... which of course wasn't a very good explanation either!

In highschool, I read Lord of the Rings and I fell in love with it. And I played computer games like King's Quest 5, Diablo 1, Baldur's Gate 2, and I loved them. But, for tabletop roleplaying, I kind of lost interest in D&D for a while. Instead, I got really into Vampire: The Masquerade, and some of my friends did as well. We loved that game, and we had a lot of fun with it.

I could go on, narrating how my story continued after high school, but I think I've more or less said what I wanted to say in relation to the childhood experience explanation. Yes, in my case, I first heard about D&D when I was a kid, and for a long time I thought that this must be why I like RPGs. Plus, I missed Seattle and the friends that I had made there, so my love of RPGs must be some unconscious or semi-conscious way of dealing with that... right? That's what I believed for years. But lately, I've been looking at the details of this hypothesis, and it doesn't entirely add up. There's things about it that don't make sense... For example, D&D wasn't the only game that we played. We played a lot of games, like Monopoly and other board games, sports like baseball and basketball, Nintendo games like Super Mario Bros and the Mega Man series. But none of this stuck with me like D&D did. I didn't start a Monopoly group when I came back to my country of origin, and I didn't start a Nintendo group either. If the games that I learned in my childhood are nothing more than an unconscious mechanism that I have for dealing with the fact that I miss Seattle, why is it that I'm not attached or emotionally invested in Monopoly or the Mega Man series? Among all of the games we played, the only one that I became really attached to was D&D. So this game must have something going on for it that draws my attention.

And, my latest hypothesis is that this "something" in question has something to do with the concept or idea of magic. Like Belgarath, I've never been really interested in sci-fi. Not even Star Wars. I can appreciate it, I can see why other people like it, but it's just not my cup of tea. I like Fantasy, I like all of its sub-genres, from Sword & Sorcery to Dark Fantasy to High Fantasy and so on. Why? I'm not sure, but like I said, my suspicion is that it has something to do with the very idea of magic. So these words by Belgarath totally resonate with me:

Even though I should like sci-fi RPG's, I just don't, other than Star Wars. It's got to have magic. It absolutely must have magic. Psionics or psychic powers won't do, it has to be MAGIC. If it doesn't have magic, I won't play it. It's just how I am, I guess. My love of fantasy magic goes all the way back to my preschool years and those Casper and Wendy comics, and all those Bewitched reruns. I don't think I'll ever change from that first love, and it's swords and sorcery RPG's for me until the day they bury me. :)
 

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Messages
609
Yes, I know Jaheira and Minsc aren't real people

Heretic. Of course Jaheira is real. Minsc, not so sure.

I love this thread. I'm quite busy with real life at the moment and will need a day or two to respond properly, but I can put my signature under most of what Antimatter wrote, and I'd like to thank BelgarathMTH and give a big virtual hug for sharing this touching personal post with us, and what a huge proof this is that computer games can indeed be healing, have a positive impact on personality development and bring people together.

Edit: Same goes for m7600 whose post appeared when I was writing.
 

shmity72

Habitué
Messages
483
Why do you like RPG's?

In the 70's it was normal to have one's parents tell their 8 year old children: OK. it's noon get outside and play in the neighborhood and come home by dark...

So my sister and I went to the forest with our 'spider web sticks' in hand, the sticks we used to guide us in case we ran into unseen webs in the forest, (our back yard).

After star wars came out those sticks became light sabers, our imaginations did not stop ticking.

5 years later it was sunny. So my neighbor of 12 years old that road his bicycle 2 miles to my house and myself played a dungeons and dragons module game on the front lawn. Our paladins were turned to stone by a Medusa!

That freedom of imagination in us still lingers to this day. whether we're painting a miniature, role playing an elf in a dungeon that doesn't like cheese...or just building a fort with our grandkids to 'hide the treasure'.


Role playing games are awesome. To this day I like the idea of figuring out what my character looks like and why. where are they going to? again, it's story of the imagination.

I like to believe that the escape of role playing games allows us not only to escape our current mundane lives, paying taxes and shopping, but also is indelibly inherent in our DNA.

It's imperative to have the freedom to create in order to grow. Is not growth our goal?

So put on your boots of haste and get 2x attacks, discover that rapier sword in that 'one' dungeon that does double crit, and show all those adversaries in your life real or imagined, that you ARE someone.

You ARE the protagonist.
 

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Messages
609
As a child I always liked to imagine myself in the stories I was reading or watching on TV, and we played with friends what we had experienced through fictional characters. I was Aragorn, I was Robin Hood, I was Han Solo, I was a padawan, I was a Star Trek officer, a pirate captain, and so on (I was never the princess).

The first cRPG I played was Baldur's Gate 1. My that-time-partner was playing Baldur's Gate 2 which was new back then, and I played through 1 to catch up. During that time, what I liked most was to experience a story by participating in it, by shaping it with my decisions. I love good stories, and playing and influencing it makes the experience so much more intense and personal.
In Baldur's Gate 2, another aspect came into it: Interaction, conversation, friendship, romance. Suddenly the imaginary friends I always had in my head when reading stories or watching TV shows could talk back! I love connections and emotions, and when characters in a game are well-written, they feel like real people.
I know for certain that me and my friend back then talked about Jaheira as if she were a roommate, and it didn't feel weird at all.
At that time, I still preferred playing a shamelessly overpowered demigod, a berserker half-elf dual-wielding Crom Faeyr and Celestial Fury. Oh well.
Then came a long, long break, about 10-15 years where I didn't play RPGs or in fact any computer games at all, finishing university and then being very, very busy with work and family. My love for good stories and my imaginary inner worlds never went away though.
When I rediscovered BG2:EE by complete coincidence when I got a tablet, I got right back into it, even installed some mods which is a bit annoying on Android, and through the Beamdog forum, my new home on the internet before we had this place here, and the friendships I forged there, the world of RPGs beyond the Baldur's Gate series started to open up to me.
First, in Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, I used roleplaying to stick to strict rules and restrictions and see if a game can be beaten like that too, especially in minimal reload. That was my "paladin phase", an unforgettable time where I exchanged a lot of experiences especially with @BelgarathMTH and discovered how much I like to write roleplayed playthrough reports.
Later, mainly through the input from @Antimatter, I broadened my horizon with a greater variety of RPGs, like Divinity: Original Sin, the Mass Effect trilogy and Dragon Age: Origins.
What I love about RPGs stays the same for the most part, experiencing a story more intimately and personally by living through it, by shaping it with what I do, by deciding how it proceeds, but a new aspect started to come into it: Stepping out of my comfort zone.
In Mass Effect 2, you can't be a space paladin, and I realized I don't need to, I don't need to restrict myself to "honorable" methods. There are games that feel real because you get thrown into a bad situation where you have to make difficult choices and live with it, work with what you have. I noticed I enjoyed that a lot.
In Dragon Age: Origins I played a rogue, because I realized (after using awesome rogue skills in Divinity: Original Sin with a party member there) that combat is combat, it's just skills, and I enjoy a smart, stealthy approach more than wearing plate mail and carrying a sword. Forget RL rules, in Divinity: Original Sin 2 it's incredibly exciting to set up distractions, sneak up on a trader and steal what you can without getting caught!
I learned to appreciate the other aspect of RPGs: Being who I want. Or trying things I wouldn't dare to try in real life, or that I wouldn't do for whichever reason, but in a game I can. Being of a different gender, romancing a character of a gender I don't date in real life and admitting I find them attractive, because it's just a game, why restrict myself. Dating the evil guy or girl, the assassin. Or as now in Cyberpunk 2077, experimenting with looks and outfits without being judged.
Visiting places I can't visit IRL, like the immersive exploration in Skyrim, like walking through Athens and seafaring in Assassins Creed: Odyssey. Riding a motorbike through the neon lit streets of Night City in CP2077 while listening to the radio, walking around absorbing the atmosphere, going to clubs listening to music and watching people.


To make a long story short: Interactively experiencing a story, influencing it, experimenting with things I can't or won't do IRL, either to learn more about myself or just for the fun of it, keeping an open mind, making new experiences, seeing new places, getting real emotions from fictional situations, be they good or sad ones, experiences that impact me. And people, interaction, connection, the imaginary friends taken to another level.
Also, not to be underestimated: Sharing these experiences by discussing them with like-minded people.
 

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Messages
609
Have you played Planescape: Torment, @Urdnot_Wrex? If not, I can't recommend it enough. I truly believe that it's the pinnacle of storytelling in video games.

I have heard so ;).
I have started it a couple of times but always dropped it for some reason, never got very far after leaving the crypt.
I have a bit of a bad conscience about that, should probably give it another chance some time.
 

O_Bruce

Habitué
Messages
540
Hello, great replies on this topic, these were interesting to read about.

I have given it some thought, and I have realized that the reason I like RPGs is really different from why I liked them as a kid or teenager. Right now, being a theoretical adult, I can say I like RPGs due to the meaningful feeling of progression. I mean, more often than not the reward from playing the game is my character(s) getting stronger, more veritable, and more capable of tackling increasingly difficult challenges. Think about the mage in Baldur's Gate - how weak the mage is initially, and how amazingly powerful and flexible it is at the end of the saga. Or think of playing summoner Necromancer in Diablo - from 1 skeleton to an entire army. Or even playing Pokemon, starting with just one, then as the game progresses, building up a team, making your mons learn new moves, covering new roles in the party, evolving. From all games I have played, I think the RPGs have the most satisfying progression systems because such systems are not just token rewards. They do affect your gameplay experience in a meaningful way, expand your possibilities, and so on.

There is also a roleplaying aspect, but if I really think about it, technically you are "taking a role" in many games, so this aspect isn't something unique to role-playing games.
The possibility of a wonderful story isn't unique to RPGs either, neither is creating "builds". Granted, RPGs tend to do well in those aspects as well
 

Skatan

Innkeeper
Staff member
Messages
253
I have a conflicting relationship to RPGs, or rather I have gotten one as I grow older. It used to be about the things many of you mentioned, progression, growing stronger, great stories and companions, the feeling of playing in a group even if you are alone becuase of the relationships in the game etc. But the "conflict", in lack of a better word, that has grew in me the last couple of years is my growing obsession to create myself in those games and the inability to do so. I struggle to find a game that allows me to create my own imaginary image of myself (which is likely a much better person than I actually am in real life), with a set of skills, class, features etc that mimics how I want to see myself. I spend hours and hours and hours and hours researching classes, builds, combinations of races and feats, traits and whatnot to find the best perfect combo and I burn out before I even play the game.

It has happened a few times the last 5 or so years I have actually finalized an RPG, and all of the times (that I can remember) it has been with characters that was less researched and more haphazardly created, going with the flow more. So basically I am sabotaging my own enjoyment of games and I just can't stop doing it. The more choice I have, the bigger the struggle as seen in owlcat's games, the latter which I never even finished act 1 (though for more than just this reason).

So why do I like RPGs? To be honest I'm not even sure I do anymore. I hesitate to buy new ones fearing I will just burn out again, ie BG3 once released, or games like black geyser. Instead I reply older games which for some reason is easier for me, especially if I have finished them once in the past as that release a lot of pressure of creating the "perfect character" I think.

Perhaps I bit depressing to read, but oh well :)
 

m7600

Habitué
Messages
1,201
@Skatan have you ever roleplayed as yourself in a tabletop RPG? If not, it might be the gaming experience that you're looking for. I don't think that D&D is well-suited for this, but Vampire: The Masquerade definitely is. I still remember a one-shot game of V:tM with some friends in which we did exactly this. Everyone roleplayed as themselves, and at some point in the story some of them became vampires, others became werewolves, and some became hunters of these monsters (think Van Helsing). It was a super fun game.
 

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Messages
609
@Skatan have you ever roleplayed as yourself in a tabletop RPG? If not, it might be the gaming experience that you're looking for. I don't think that D&D is well-suited for this, but Vampire: The Masquerade definitely is. I still remember a one-shot game of V:tM with some friends in which we did exactly this. Everyone roleplayed as themselves, and at some point in the story some of them became vampires, others became werewolves, and some became hunters of these monsters (think Van Helsing). It was a super fun game.

I suppose the difficulty of this would be to have a group of people close to the place where you live that are either friends or at least people you feel comfortable with, and who are interested in tabletop RPGs and to align everyone's schedules enough to dedicate time for this.
 

m7600

Habitué
Messages
1,201
I suppose the difficulty of this would be to have a group of people close to the place where you live that are either friends or at least people you feel comfortable with, and who are interested in tabletop RPGs and to align everyone's schedules enough to dedicate time for this.
Pretty much, yeah. But if it's a one-shot, it would only be one session, a couple of hours long. So, for example, you can replace one of your dinner parties with a tabletop RPG session. You can still take a break to have dinner and drink wine or whatever suits your fancy, of course : )
 
Top Bottom