Who would you have in your ultimate RPG party?

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,835
Imagine that you have a choice of 4 characters to include in your party (along with the main character) to go start adventuring.

Who will they be and why? You're not limited by character members from party-based RPGs and can include any NPC you like. You're not limited by the setting (eg. an NPC from a sci-fi RPG can be present in a fantasy-setting party). Basically, you're not limited by anything.

You might also provide the details on the kind of team this will be, their main quest and the background.
 

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Messages
609
This is a very interesting topic. I've been thinking on this a lot since I've read it, and took some notes on a sheet.

My choice would depend a lot on the setting actually, particularly on the background world and the quest, especially if we should expect more combat or more investigation. This topic could actually be turned into a kind of game where one person provides the background and quest, and the others come up with their ideal team.

I haven't had time to think about a background and quest for my team yet, so for now I'm assuming a standard RPG situation of "the end of the world at the hands of some evil entity is imminent, and only you can stop them, who would you take with you?"

I wasn't 100% sure how to approach it, from the side of listing my favorite companions in all games and then choosing the top 4, or from characteristics I'd look for in the ideal "stop the end of the world strike team" member.

I decided to go with the second option. Note that I don't have a lot of games on my list yet, so my choices are more limited than for many others.

So, the big question: What do I look for most in ideal party members?

- mutual respect and absolute blind trust without a second thought
- loyalty and honesty, shouldn't be afraid to tell me to my face when they think I'm making a mistake or have a better idea how to solve a problem
- partners, not subordinates. Will follow orders when necessary, but don't need them to work well, can think and decide for themselves
- personalities that I like, who will accept me as I am, support me without trying to change me, and know they can expect the same in return
- can follow their moral compass even against public authority or peer pressure, believe in what they do, can make hard decisions when necessary and live with them, have the right balance between compassion and toughness
- have a sense of humor. This is absolutely essential to get through rough times and makes life so much easier to bear. Besides, every adventure has time for sharing stories and laughing at the campfire,

What I haven't taken into consideration for now are the roles the party members must fulfill, like classes, because it would depend on the scenario and the main character could always fill the gap.

My list for now:

1. Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect)
2. Jaheira (Baldur's Gate 2)
3. Wynne (Dragon Age: Origins)
4. Edér (Pillars of Eternity)

(Tried not to pick 2 from the same game)

Why?
Garrus: Seriously, do I need to explain? There is no Shepard without Vakarian, obviously. Replace Shepard with any main character. Garrus is the best.

Jaheira: Reliable, smart, independent, stands even against the supposed Harpers with you when she's convinced that it's the right thing to do. Always there by your side.

Wynne: Wise old lady with much experience, powerful mage, very compassionate and not as obsessed with following rules as one would expect from a Chantry mage. Also, her witty humor.

Edér: Had me convinced the moment he called me "Nineteen". Doesn't care about authorities when the right thing needs to be done, cares about others, is supportive, trustworthy, has a wry sense of humor that I like.

With a broader perspective, these 4 would be my "strike team".
If I had a base of operation with a backup team for information, research and general management, I would want: - Liara (Mass Effect) for gathering information and research
- Dr. Chakwas (Mass Effect) for medical staff
- Deekin (Neverwinter Nights) for keeping a record and to boost morale
- Cespensar (Baldur's Gate 2: Throne if Bhaal) and Mordin (Mass Effect) for equipment
- Nalia

Now they need a story and a purpose!
 
Last edited:

Antimatter

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,835
For an adventuring party, I think, one needs the following:
  • you can call each of them your Nakama
  • they share the same beliefs you do
  • they have a good sense of humour
"I swear, travelling with you is never dull". Jaheira from Baldur's Gate II. She's the character I can't drop from BG parties. Her story and character development seem the closest to my own thoughts.

"You know, one good thing about the Blight is how it brings people together." Alistair from Dragon Age: Origins. It's difficult to name a more loyal friend from DA:O than Alistair. His humour is not so refined as Morrigan's, but he makes me smile every time, maybe because he's (a bit?) naive.

"In my book, friendship is all that matters. Well, friendship and love. And art. Oh, and wine..." Dandelion from The Witcher 3. What can I say in addition to that quote? He's a poet, minstrel, bard, and close friend. He never lets you down.

"I suppose this new world is now ours to make, the legends ours to write." Pallegina from Pillars of Eternity I. She's very reasonable, courageous, compassionate, and always supports science and research. And her tongue is a sharp as her mind.
 

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Messages
609
I suppose I haven't got far enough in Pillars of Eternity yet to meet Pallegina (trying to do the Endless Paths of Od Nua all at once may have been a mistake and my reason for quitting). Sounds like one more reason to pick up the game again some day.

Alistair is a great guy too, completely agree on that with both of you, I just didn't want to pick two people from the same game.
 

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Messages
609
More than 1.5 years later I have to cast Raise Thread.

After finishing Cyberpunk 2077 a week or two ago and finally watching this great tribute video that Antimatter linked in another thread already

(don't watch if you haven't finished/played the game yet but plan to do so)



and after many different life experiences, I would say that Jackie from Cyberpunk 2077 is the closest I have ever felt to a non-romance game character. The closest romanceable game characters being Garrus and Jaheira.

So I think my reviewed party setup is now this:

Garrus (because there is still no Shepard without Vakarian. Ever.)

Jaheira (because I still love her, and seeing her in the BG3 videos all I wanted was sit with her at a campfire, have a drink and listen for hours how she has been for the last 100 years)

Jackie Welles from Cyberpunk 2077 (because he is the truest brother a game has ever given me, and I have two older brothers in real life)

Alistair from Dragon Age: Origins , because he is so loyal and supportive and funny. Maybe on par with Zevran, our favourite Antivan crow, but we're limited to 4.
 
Messages
152
This one is not easy at all in my case... (my biggest 'problem' with any party cRPG's is that I always have too few/not enough party slots to pick all the NPC I want to take with me) but:
1) Jaheira (#1 100%), from Baldur's Gate
2) Eder (very close by), from Pillars of Eternity
3) Valerie, from Pathfinder: Kingmaker
4) Lohse, from Divinity: Original Sin 2
 

O_Bruce

Habitué
Messages
540
Thank you for reviving the thread, since I have just realized I have never seen this thread in the first place. And I was missing out.

"There are times when you just simply can't refuse to have a drink" - Emiel Regis Rohellec Terzieff-Godefroy (The Witcher 3). A great, true, and loyal friend, an amazingly interesting conversation partner, who can add a fresh an unique perspective on many topics. As for his utility skills, he is a skilled herbalist, knows much about medicine, and above it all, he
has all the abilities you can expect from a higher vampire as described in the Witcher lore. Meaning, he is extremely powerful. Also, you don't have to worry about him drinking blood, as he is a non-drinker in 99.9% of the time

"Ready and willin'!" - Imoen (Baldur's Gate). Imoen is a free-spirited, kind and enthusiastic individual, very well suited to hold the whole group together and keep them in a good mood and in high morale. Just like Regis, she would be a good and loyal friend. Utility-wise, Imoen is a both quite capable mage and rogue and her skills could come in handy quite often.

"If you're going to trespass into my home, rifle through my things... then at least have the decency to join me for supper. I'm bloody hungry." - Lorah Nahr (Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, Diablo IV). There is no sugarcoating here. Lorah is quite a dark character in the story of Diablo IV. He often sends mixed signals and is deeply flawed. But under all that, there is a good and kind man inside, a good friend and loyal companion. Despite his age, Lorah is a quite skilled in combat, both using polearm and with Horadric magic. Because of his age and experience, he possesses vast knowledge.

"I'm a simple Witcher. I do not fight dragons, don't make friends with kings and I don't sleep with sorceresses" - Eskel (Witcher 1 and 3). Eskel is probably the calmest, most friendly, and most level-headed Witcher there is. Would be a good friend, a good conversation partner. Unlike a Geralt, Eskel would be more available as a traveling companion, and unlike Lambert, Eskel is not a pr**k. Being the Witcher about as experienced as Geralt, Eskel is a great fighter, supplemented with vast knowledge about monsters and other more-or-less sentient creatures.


Honorable mentions:
- Jaheira (Baldur's Gate)
- Aerie (Baldut's Gate 2)
- Anomen (Baldur's Gate 2)
- Eder (Pillars of Eternity)
- Kana (Pillars of Eternity)
- Dandelion/!book Jaskier (The Witcher)
 

Urdnot_Wrex

Habitué
Messages
609
Glad I revived this thread, interesting replies! But oh man whenever I read what someone else posts here, I often think "Argh how could I forget this or that person from this or that game? I need to rewrite my list!"
Lohse is definitely one of them, I probably didn't think of her because I played as her.
 
Top Bottom